Thursday, December 12, 2013

Early December update

Last week's chemo was pretty rough. It was a higher dose than the last time. I didn't have the almost debilitating fatigue like last time, but the nausea was much worse. I used my anti-emetics the same way as last time, only one at night before the chemo pill, but I should have used it every 8 hours as the doctor suggested. I didn't catch it in time and spent the last 3 days of the cycle throwing up and not eating or drinking much. That made the start of my work week hard as I felt really weak from dehydration and lack of food.

The first time, my symptoms resolved within 24 hours of taking the last pill. This time, the nausea continued for over 4 days past the last pill. Food doesn't taste the same. At first, I thought it was the nausea that just made me disinterested in food, but now that the nausea is gone, I'm more worried about my change in palate. Foods that I KNOW I like don't taste good anymore. I don't know if that can be a side effect of the chemo or not, so that's something to ask at my oncology appointment tomorrow.

I also am stumbling over my words a little more. I've noticed it most at the ends of sentences, forgetting more words for things, and when I'm reading out loud to the kids.

I stepped down the steroid again by less than usual. I'm currently at 1/4th of my original dose. I'm at the sleeping poorly so I'm tired stage. I can't get to sleep quickly at night. Last night, I was up until 2am and got up for the day at 6:30, so I'm sleepy today for sure. The step downs also make me itchy, which I think keeps Charles up at night too, so I feel badly about that.

Busy weekend coming up so I'm trying hard to get more rest. I took a nap after work. I hope that doesn't back fire and keep me up tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment