Friday, May 23, 2014

May update

I haven't written in a while and there's a reason for that. I'm studying for my FE exam and the exam date is May 29th. I started studying in January this year and realized around February 1rst that I needed to spend significantly more time studying for it than I had anticipated. I tried to study a few evenings a week but my stamina was (and is) not good. When I got home from work, I was physically and mentally too tired to retain new information. Studying on the weekends proved to work much better.

Unfortunately that left Charles with the brunt of the family responsibility, which he's basically been doing since my surgery anyway. It's taking a toll on him now though. I know we'll all be glad when my weekends can be focused on family again. I'll still be physically recovering from my treatments but I'll be present more.

My parents have our children in New Jersey for most of the long weekend, which was made longer by kindergarten orientation forcing kindergartners off for Thursday and Friday. We are so thankful for that. This gives both Charles and I some rest. Charles has a long break from caring for the kids. He can go shopping for things he's put off (ie shoes and socks). He can read a book and relax. I can sleep whenever I want. I will be able to study all day for the next three days and then still have time for a date night with Charles Saturday night. Thank you, Mom and Dad!

Then I'll work for a day on Tuesday and took off Wednesday to rest and prep before the test on Thursday. General anxiety affects memory recall so since I have recall issues already, I am trying to take it super easy on the rest of my life. Everything is in the background now until the 30th. It takes about 2 weeks to get the results back. On the 30th, our church is hosting "parents' night out" so we're going to buy a game platform that we've been talking about and saving for since the beginning of the year. We figure it's a good reward to look forward to, a distraction from the wait for the results, and a way to blow off steam in general.

As far as my disease, we are waiting for the next scan. I will get blood work done on the 30th, scan on June 2nd, follow-up appointment with the oncologist on the 6th. No other news or concerns right now.

Happy Memorial Day weekend! And thank you to all our military service people!

No comments:

Post a Comment