Sunday, April 22, 2018

Positive update on my disease

I started this blog in May 2013 for two reasons.  The first was to explain how I was feeling, mentally and physically, not only for myself but to update friends and family.  The other reason was because I couldn't find many blogs/stories about young adults with my disease, especially ones that had good responses to treatments or outcomes.  Therefore, I was hoping I would be a positive example to other young adults looking for someone who has survived brain cancer and is thriving.

I had a follow-up MRI this month that showed no evidence of disease (NED).  I have had NED since December 2013 so this year will be five years.  5 years since diagnosis on June 4th and 5 years since my last treatment on December 4th.  After everything I've been through, I feel blessed to be alive. 

If you've just been diagnosed with brain cancer or astrocytoma specifically, know that it is possible to beat it.  I still don't fully know whether the cancer will come back but I'm hopeful it never will so I can grow old with the love of my life and see our children meet all the lifetime milestones I hope for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment