Friday, December 5, 2014

Happy news from the oncologist

I’m happy to report that my MRI brain scan from Monday was stable and no evidence of disease. The oncologist and I are both very happy with the results. He even used the word remission and is confident that the treatment I had last year will keep it from returning “for many years, if ever”. Although there are no studies on cases like mine to help predict my prognosis, he did talk about writing up my case for a medical journal in the coming years (maybe 5 or 10) for other young adults in my position to be able to read. 

I took my last chemotherapy pill one year ago today and have gained back about 95% of my pre-surgery energy and stamina. I will continue to have monitoring scans every 3 months for several years and then about every 4-6 months after that.

Our little family had pizza, sparking apple cider for the kids, and wine for Charles and I as a dinner celebration. We told the kids about our good news and they asked any questions they had. We have a busy weekend planned with a birthday party, tree decorating, and cleaning the bathroom (guess who's doing that).

Happy Holidays everyone. I got my wish early!

No comments:

Post a Comment