Monday, August 26, 2013

First week over

Friday last week marked the first week of radiation finished. That was 5 in a row, with 25 more to go. Because of Labor Day Monday being off next week, my radiation will continue to 6.5 weeks instead of the normal 6, cause we have to get up to 30 treatments. Radiation is going alright so far. I have a little tenderness in my surgery scar, but I can't tell if that's normal healing or being aggravated by the radiation. The procedures don't take long, about 20 minutes from in the door to out as long as I don't get there too early and end up waiting. Laying on the table is like 5-6 minutes.

Tomorrow will be the official start of the second week of chemo (since I started on a Tuesday). That's not been too terrible so far either. I do get some nausea. It reminds me of morning sickness. I will get about 3/4ths of the way through a meal and then not be able to finish it. And of course, it's the worst right at bedtime. There's been a few nights when I take all the anti nausea meds in my arsenal, and antacids, and spend a couple hours sitting upright in bed to try to fall asleep. I feel badly for Charles more than me since he gets up at the ass crack of dawn to go to work so getting to sleep on time is more important for him.

Charles' 30th birthday was on Saturday and we had a party at a local park. That turned out well. I was impressed by myself to get it all together, run errands, set up, clean up, etc. We got to see a few people we haven't seen in a while, meet a couple babies we hadn't met yet, and generally have a good time to celebrate my best friend and partner.

I got my hair trimmed up again over the weekend too. I went to the cheapo Hair Cuttery since I didn't really care if they butchered it. I just needed it shorter since it'll fall out in patches and I didn't want the rest of the hair that stays to get unruly. They actually did a decent job for a $16 cut (keep in mind I paid $65 for the first chop I did). I even took Grace back there for a kid cut yesterday before school today.

Speaking of school, the bigs are there right now. First day drop off went really well, no tears (while I was there). They were just excited to get in there which is what we were hoping for. We'll see how the day goes and then this first week. I imagine it's really hard on the kindergartners to go full days for a full week to start. 3 day week next week though since the MCPS calendar has so many holidays in it.

Overall, we've all had a good week, despite the circumstances. I've decided I'm doing little treats for myself on Fridays to celebrate another week over. Last Friday it was coffee and a scone from Starbucks. This Friday, I want to get another "lounge around the house" outfit. You know, the comfy kind you would barely let your mother see you in...

No comments:

Post a Comment