I wasn't expecting it so soon, but I'm already feeling fatigue from the treatments. Today was my 8th radiation and I started the 2nd week of chemo yesterday. The oncologist said fatigue during second week is normal. Yesterday, I was really dragging to get myself to the radiation appointment and was doing the "Stay awake! Almost home and then you can nap!" thinking on the drive home. I slept for 3 hours after that. Then I went to bed pretty easily right on time, but when I got up to pee at 1am, I couldn't go back to sleep for 5 hours!! And Ellie cried at 5am, so I think I got a total of 3.5 hours of broken sleep last night.
Thankfully, our nanny (and her helper Ellie) was ready to give me a ride to treatment today and I can sleep whenever I need to until 4pm. I'm thankful my short term disability is still active for a while and we're getting somewhere with long term disability. I don't know how people can work through this fatigue.
The nausea is still manageable. I've tried to forgo the anti-nausea meds and end up needing it around lunch time. Sometimes I have a hard time falling asleep at night from the nausea, but the meds do help. I've decided to treat myself to something on Fridays just as a thing to look forward to and patting myself on the back for another week. Last Friday was Starbucks coffee and scone. This week will be a new lounge outfit. I think I may have written about this idea before but can't remember without going back to read it... "chemo brain" has replaced "mommy brain" lately. Thank goodness for alarms and lists on the smart phone.
I am still trying to exercise. I walk the kids to school every morning which is about .6 miles round trip. I do that twice if I pick them up in the afternoon, which I only *have* to do on Mondays but can send Ellie and Constance in the afternoon the rest of the week if I'm not up for it. It's been REALLY hot a few days this week so everyone comes home red faced and ready for drinks/snacks. No tears on the first day of school, not for them and not for me. I'm glad they like it! They are tired though, Liam was laying around on the floor this morning until we left and Grace slept on the floor of their room last night.
I've been doing more crochet. I am about to finish my second hat. I got all the way through before I realized I was doing a triple stitch instead of the double stitch that the pattern called for. Oh well, I'm not going to undo it all. It'll just be a little longer. It was a slouch hat pattern anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment