Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First day of chemo and radiation combined

Well, yesterday was my first radiation treatment. You can read about it here. Today I found out they are doing 30 treatments instead of 33, so I have 28 left. Last day is scheduled for September 30th. I had discussed 33 treatments with the oncologist to try to spread out the dose and lower the chance of long term side effects according to the Baltimore Hopkins specialist. The local oncologist is out this week, so I talked to another doc in the office. I see my own doctor next week and need to clarify with her why she changed her mind.

I got another info packet on the procedure and side effects of the radiation. It seems I have another 10-14 days left with my hair in tact. I'm already working on one beanie for myself and got a beautiful knit hat from a friend back when this all started. I'm hoping the weather turns cold in September so I don't have to do that "I have cancer" head scarf.

After fighting with the insurance all last week to not only approve the chemo meds but to get them to overnight ship it, I ended up getting it in the mail early enough this morning to start today. I did take the anti-nausea meds too so no nausea so far. As much as I hate the insurance battles, it's so worth it. We're paying 50 cents each for a medication that out-of-pocket costs $309 for one pill. Yup, over 12 grand out-of-pocket for a 42 day treatment (like mine) for people who don't have insurance. This is one big example of the broken healthcare system. I can't imagine how screwed we'd be without good benefits. I have no idea what the radiation treatments cost without insurance.

I've also been battling with my long term disability insurance company. They are trying to say that because I was being treated for migraines before I was effective on the policy (a couple months after I restarted full time) that they don't have to pay the benefit due to some "pre-existing conditions" bullshit. A claims adjuster friend has told me that because the diagnosis wasn't until after the effective date that I should still get benefits. I hope so! Otherwise, we'd have a month lapse in disability payments. However, I do have an amazing employer with even more amazing coworkers who have donated paid time off for me. So if we have to, I'll have them apply a few paid time off hours per week so we'll continue to have some income until I go back full time mid-October.

Insurance. Blessing and a curse at the same time, really.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you here at SK&A Katie! I hope your treatments proceed as planned and my prayers are still with you and your family.

    -Walid

    ReplyDelete