Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ugh, this is hard

I am talking to my physician again today. This dang headache still won't go away. I hope there's another way to deal with it than more steroids. Even the current dose is keeping me up at night. Last night, I took every pill in my arsenal and still took until 4am to fall asleep. Then the youngest was up just after 6am. The insomnia is unbearable. It makes me very spacey during the day. Not to mention the wicked heartburn from the steroids too. Ugh!

At least my nausea and vomiting is under control. I take an unbelievable amount of medication in one day. I haven't even counted how many. I'm starting to feel like I have my own pharmacy at home, under literal lock and key safe.

I miss working. I am starting to gain more muscle memory for my crochet so I'm hopeful it will be a quick turn around time for my drafting skills. I miss the new stuff I was starting to learn too like checking shop drawings and new functions in Revit. I'm hopeful I can get back to the office at least 30 hours a week pretty quickly after the treatment is over. It will probably depend on my brain's reaction to the full course of treatment. These steroids make me pretty miserable most of the time.

I have noticed some concentration issues that I may have to make some accommodations for. I used to be able to multi-task a lot better. I could read a kid's book, that we've read 100 times, and be able to think about other things while I was reading. Now, I really have to concentrate on every sentence or I get mixed up quickly. So I can't let my mind wander. It makes me wonder if I'll have to stop with my work "entertainment" like music and even comedy podcasts. Not that it would be a terrible thing, I would just miss it. Music might be okay, but having people talking in podcasts would probably be too much.

And I am still constantly amazed at our wonderful support system. I reached out for rides for the rest of the month and the schedule has filled up so quickly. I love seeing the friends and family who come to help out or just hang out. I still get support cards, which are really nice. I have some very thoughtful and generous friends, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment