Wednesday, July 17, 2013

4 weeks

4 weeks ago today was the surgery. I am doing better every week, but I've still noticed some odd things. First, my scar is starting to get feeling back so I get zings of feeling here and there. It also feels tight so when I move my eyebrows around, it just plain feels weird.

I'm still gaining back my stamina, so I've been going to the community gym for walks. We try to walk outdoors but it's so stinking hot! I've been going on errands too, which is tiring, but needs to be done anyway.

I've noticed some lacking in muscle memory, like forgetting which direction to turn the water faucets to make them turn off. So yeah, sometimes I get reeeeally cold at the end of my shower! It makes me wonder how I'll do with playing the piano (which I've been able to do since I was 5 years old) or knitting/crocheting (which I learned in the last 18 months). I haven't tried either of those yet.

This probably isn't new, or even unusual for the general populous, but I've found myself forgetting things. I make myself a to-do list every day (simple things like making phone calls, emails, or studying for EIT) but if the activity doesn't make it onto the physical list, it doesn't get done, no matter how many times I remind myself before I fall asleep the night before.

I'm still sleeping poorly at night, but it probably has to do with the unknown of the pathology. I am supposed to talk to the nurse again today so hopefully that will put some of our concerns to rest so I can REST! Today I woke up at 7:15 and that seemed SO early, which is ridiculous, considering I was up and out of bed by 6:30 every weekday morning when I was working and 7am with Liam opening our door on weekends.

I have been getting mild headaches, but nothing like the intense migraines I used to get. I'm hopeful this will at least keep that away. I have an appointment with my local neurologist on Monday to talk about it. So part of my to-do list every day is bugging the other offices to fax my records.

I'll update more once we have our information straightened out from the pathology.

1 comment:

  1. Katie- After I got out of the hospital (2001)and had "recovered" from meningitis/encephalitis, I was seeing a neurologist for years. What we noticed as an issue, was muscle memory. I had/still have a great deal of difficulty holding writing instruments. It greatly affected my ability to hold a pen, and utensils. However, somehow, my brain remembered and could handle the movements to play a clarinet. Brains are funny. Occupational therapy really helped with retraining those small things. Everything can be relearned. :)

    ReplyDelete