Monday, July 1, 2013

Expected recovery

There is a side note to the appointment today. They removed the staples, which wasn't as bad as I expected, so I have to try to keep it clean still until it fully heals, which means I can't scratch at it. That will be hard. I also can't wash my hair until tomorrow, boo.

With no need for follow-up treatments, my only restrictions are self imposed to do only as much as I feel like I should. "If it hurts, stop. If you're tired, take a nap. But don't stay in bed all day."  It's important to stay moving. Risk of blood clots for craniotomy patients is very high.

The nurse said I probably wasn't sleeping as much as expected because of the steroid I was on to reduce the risk of brain swelling. Today was the last of the tapered doses for that, so I might crash tomorrow or later this week. The other meds I'm on are supposed to be really tiring. I will actually be glad to be more tired so I can get to sleep faster at night. It might mean more naps too and that it will still take some time to get my stamina back. It may be a while before I can take on what my normal day used to look like and I know I have to be patient with myself and take each step forward as it comes.

I've started going to the community gym with Charles and doing very light workouts. They said I could start to ramp that up slowly, like do 1/5th of what I used to do and work my way up. That's about what I've been doing, just some light arm exercises with 5 pound weights. The steroids are making my muscles feel weak and shaky so hopefully that'll go away this week too as that leaves my system.

I still do have my "heavy lifting" restriction. So no picking up Ellie for another 10 or so days. After that, I'm able to be alone and responsible for the kids as my energy allows. Charles should start back to work full time next week. As long as I continue to have no seizures, I am allowed to drive and be alone with the kids. They might even taper off one of the anti-seizure meds in the next few weeks if the one that I'm on already will cover the needs.

They recommended waiting to go back to work until I'm back to 100%, able to meet the demands of my job. Physically it's not a very demanding job, mostly sitting at a computer, but being out and about for 8+ hours will probably be tiring, and I don't want to be leaving early to come home to nap! We're really really hoping for continued streak of no seizures so I can drive myself to work. I plan to at least by able to take the kids to kindergarten around the corner on my way back to work by end of August.

Speaking of driving, I'm able to travel. It's not pleasant to be in the car right now, but if we were to, say, take a week long trip to OC NJ, that would be allowed now. I will probably join my nephews and sister in Ocean City in August, which will be nice.

We are also so thankful for support army, but figure we can probably taper off our help requests as things improve and we get back to our normal routine. We wouldn't turn away a meal though! Those have been awesome.

The first follow-up observation MRI will probably be near my 31rst birthday at the end of October, or in early November. Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment