I think I've learned a lot from this.
First of all, prayer works! I think initially after the diagnosis, Charles and I both had a shake in our spirituality. With how radically the diagnosis has changed, it's restored some of that faith. And others believe that their prayers have helped too, I know my parents believe it was partially prayer that influenced the outcome.
I also have a new found respect for the generosity of human kind. We had SO much help from friends, family, coworkers, and even from complete strangers, it really makes you appreciate how kind people can be to people they are connected to personally and even not connected to at all.
I now know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of all that kindness. I think in the past, I haven't been as sensitive to what others have and are going through, and this experience makes me much more aware of how much more sensitive and caring I can and should be. "Paying it forward" is a big lesson here.
I also know how important it is to really research your options and choose the best possible care you can get. The right medical team makes all the difference in the world. I know I was meant to go to this surgeon and that he probably saved my life in general as well as the overall quality of my life to avoid further treatments. The medical facilities I went to were the absolute best and we're lucky to be so close to such wonderful and famously excellent care. Trust in the people that care for you and let them do their jobs.
Optimism. Don't be afraid. Stay positive. Don't let the downs get you too far down. Let the ups be up. Let the people around you lift you up. Don't let the disease pull you down, don't wallow on the worst case scenario.
No comments:
Post a Comment