I had a talk a few days ago with a friend of mine that recently battled cancer. It is sad that I'm now among the people that truly empathize with others that have been through this. We talked about keeping up hope but also preparing for the worst. If you have ever been faced by your own mortality, you'll understand. A positive attitude is a lot of the fight, but you are forced to think about what would happen should you die during the battle. I am 30 years old. I shouldn't have to think about these things. But I do now...
I wrote my "just in case" letters this weekend to my family members. It's things that should be said that I would regret not saying, just in case if the worst should happen. I chose email because I've been avoiding phone conversations lately. It was very hard to write them, but I know those people deserve to hear those things. And honestly, those are letters I should have written long ago even without being faced with a major brain surgery.
Tomorrow evening, I'm planning to record a video for each of my kids, ala Kristina from Parenthood. I am going to try not to cry. And then I'll record a 4th video of me reading some books and singing our bedtime songs. I think those will be the hardest of all, but then again, they really need to be said and done. My kids need it.
You should learn from me. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. They all deserve to know, not only know it, but hear it directly from you.
Katie,... you mean so much to me,.. you have inspired my willingness to sit back and observe things the way you do,.. when you were pregnant with the twins you showed me how perseverance can be so valuable and rewarding too and even when you were little you've shown me how patience can be just the right approach to so many of life's inconveniences. You mean so much to me!
ReplyDeleteMy Love You
Dad