We saw the second neurosurgeon today. Let's call him Dr J. He had the same diagnosis and same recommended plan of action. He did better at explaining the location, size, and types of cells the tumor could have come from. He was a lot more vague about the effects of surgery and possible risks. At least there's a consensus on what it is and what needs to be done.
We've chosen to go with Johns Hopkins for the treatment. It seems like a more cohesive team with better communication between the disciplines. The surgeon from today would take care of "debulking" and getting as much of the tumor removed as possible, but he would send me to other specialists outside of his practice for follow up care or treatment. I have gotten so many positive recommendations to Hopkins and specifically Dr O. This feels like the right decision.
Unfortunately, we have gotten bumped from the Wednesday time slot. I'll keep you all posted. We have an awesome support army already scheduled to start helping Tuesday, but we may need some flexibility.
I guess it is "good" that your diagnosis and treatment plan was confirmed and that you were able to decide which team to use. I'm sorry you might have to wait longer though- I imagine waiting and thinking is miserable and scary.
ReplyDelete